- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% or higher)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil or coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mash the beans in a large bowl using the back of a large fork or spoon until smooth but still a bit chunky. Add the beef, eggs, carrot, bread crumbs, ground flaxseed, 1/4 cup ketchup, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste and mix until well combined.
- Place the meat mixture in the middle of the baking dish. Shape into a 6×8-inch rectangle, about 1 1/2 inches high. Spread the 2 tablespoons of ketchup evenly on the top and sides.
- Bake until an instant-read meat thermometer registers 160°F, 50 to 60 minutes. Let stand for a couple of minutes before serving.